Welcome to Depression Recovery

Welcome to the Depression Recovery blog! If you suffer with depression or love someone who does, you have come to the right place for encouragement and practical help. I am not a health professional, but I know the darkness of major depression and the crippling effects of anxiety and OCD that often accompany it. Living with depression, I masked my way through daily life, waking each morning feeling as though someone had died and then realizing....it was me. Perhaps you agree that a fitting definition of major depression is death without the benefit of being unconscious. If that sounds a little dramatic, then that's good. If it sounds painfully accurate, then you've come to the right place, because I also know what recovery is! Take heart, friend. I invite you to read my blog from the beginning post and onward as I have logged my progress (and lack of it sometimes), and have not only spotted the light at the end of the tunnel, but have emerged into its presence!

I invite you to email me at
simmonsmg@wildblue.net if you have questions or comments as you read.

Starting Your Journey

Begin your journey to depression recovery by starting from the first post. ~ To read it, click here.

You may also click here to read all the posts for 2009, then continue in reading the archives for 2010. Please remember to start with the last post and work your way backwards to the most current post. Thank you!


*

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Last Piece to Peace

There has been one small piece of depression that has continued to stay with me, even after recovering. It is that sad feeling upon waking in the morning. Not NEARLY like it used to be! Very, very minor in comparison, but still there. I had accepted it as simply a remnant to keep me from ever completely forgetting what depression is like, and thus, being more compassionate to others.

However, recently, I had noticed that that remnant is gone! I've noticed that I'm waking without any of that feeling at all. Well, unless there is something genuinely saddening me. So, the question is.... what happened? What is different now than over the last months? Here it is! I'm teaching math every day. I am a substitute teacher and I am currently standing in for an 8th grade math teacher during her maternity leave. I am not a natural at math....by a long shot...so I have had to study a lot. In addition to studying math, I'm teaching it, grading it, and dreaming it! :-) This is, no doubt, strengthening my frontal lobe through exercise in focus and concentration! Pretty cool, huh? So... what do I do when this math gig is over? Well, I plan to get those puzzles out and do them regularly. Jigsaw puzzles, word puzzles, number puzzles and any other form of having to concentrate on solving something (other than emotional problems) is very helpful to the health and healing of the frontal lobe...the part of the brain that takes the hit in depression. Just wanted to report that.

3 comments:

  1. Ah--I like it!!! I guess I'd never really thought about the frontal lobe's involvement in depression...never studied into it at all, in fact. Most interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting fact. I think it is pretty cool that this has happened and that you were able to put this all together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes me think that everything will get better

    ReplyDelete