Welcome to Depression Recovery

Welcome to the Depression Recovery blog! If you suffer with depression or love someone who does, you have come to the right place for encouragement and practical help. I am not a health professional, but I know the darkness of major depression and the crippling effects of anxiety and OCD that often accompany it. Living with depression, I masked my way through daily life, waking each morning feeling as though someone had died and then realizing....it was me. Perhaps you agree that a fitting definition of major depression is death without the benefit of being unconscious. If that sounds a little dramatic, then that's good. If it sounds painfully accurate, then you've come to the right place, because I also know what recovery is! Take heart, friend. I invite you to read my blog from the beginning post and onward as I have logged my progress (and lack of it sometimes), and have not only spotted the light at the end of the tunnel, but have emerged into its presence!

I invite you to email me at
simmonsmg@wildblue.net if you have questions or comments as you read.

Starting Your Journey

Begin your journey to depression recovery by starting from the first post. ~ To read it, click here.

You may also click here to read all the posts for 2009, then continue in reading the archives for 2010. Please remember to start with the last post and work your way backwards to the most current post. Thank you!


*

Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm Still Standin'

Hey, everyone! It's been a while since I've posted. But I want to give the report that here in the deep of winter, I am still doing great and celebrating the return of my brain! I am proof that Dr. Nedley's depression recovery program works. I have had a couple of episodes of slipping, but each time that happens I take a look at my list of things I've been taught to do and, sure enough, I've gotten lazy!

Some people may wonder (as I have) if there is a difference in being cured and being recovered. Am I "cured"? I'm not sure, but I feel I am certainly headed in that direction. Am I recovered? Yes! Dr. Nedley believes that a cure truly can be attained...but must be maintained. I'm happy with that because, either way, I have found the "tools" to be depression-free. So whether recovered or cured, the key to success is continuing with what works.


While I can't begin to include all of what I learned from the Nedley Depression Recovery program, I will at least try to share some information and tips. I will start by sharing my joy of recovery! I am forever grateful to Dr. Nedley for his scientific research and endurance to prove that depression recovery (and cure)can be achieved through practical and natural methods. I am eternally grateful to God for being my Divine Counselor and for all of the personal lessons of how completely trustworthy and precious he is. By his companionship, I have truly discovered a lot of light in the darkness! I am dedicated to helping anyone who is suffering with depression/anxiety.

As I find my "real" self re-emerging, I feel regret for the time that is gone that was spent in depression, wishing I'd been a more effective person in this or that way. But as I was thinking about this, I discovered a promise from God's word that has given me renewed joy! It says, "I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten." Restore the years. That is a promise I'm so grateful for. That swarming, chewing, destructive locust is dead and the plant is thriving again! Depression recovery doesn't erase life's problems. Problems and sadness and challenges will always happen in this world. But a renewed brain gives the ability to handle them more clearly and productively. And the joys of life are fuller!

It would be enough for me to realize this progress just myself. But it is especially encouraging to realize that others are observing it in me too! For example, a friend told me my eyes "look brighter" these days! That was so satisfying, considering all the photos I've seen of myself with dead eyes. But I think the words that have thrilled me most are from Mark, who has unfailingly seen me through this whole journey, as he was observing me with a smile and said, "Welcome back!" :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment